straight 8 @ ciclope
straight 8 industry shootout @ ciclope 2017
final call - open now - limited places remain - pre-register below now to receive entry link
compete with WCRS (lon, uk), EL RIO (buenos aires, arg), ELECTRIC THEATRE COLLECTIVE (lon, uk), RUMBLE (lon, uk), FRAMESTORE PICTURES (culver city, usa), BLACK RABBIT (warsaw, pol), SMUGGLER (lon, uk), THE LIFT (mexico city, mex), RED RAGE (dublin, ire), STELLAR FILMS (tallinn, estonia), MOONWALK (paris, fra), TFC JAPAN (tokyo, japan), SMILE (barcelona, esp), CINE BRAZIL (sao paolo, bra), CZAR (amsterdam, hol), CAB FILMS (cape town, south africa), RADICAL MEDIA (lon, uk)
entry is limited to 20 companies working in the global ad industry, competing as companies, for charity
just like the regular straight 8, entrants make a film on one roll of super 8mm cine film, with no second takes, no editing, no post-production. sound must be original and is delivered 'blind'
each company will see their straight 8 film for the first time at ciclope 2017, kino international, berlin, october 26th
the cinema audience will then vote and the winning companies get to donate the prize-money to the charities of their choosing
entry is first come first served. pre-registration is essential to be eligible to enter - see the form below
this is a great chance to have some fun, making a film in one of the hardest ways possible, raising money for charity and battling creatively with the rest of the industry. what's not to like?
check out the rules below the poster...
the 8 rules of shootout are:
- you can only enter as a major company linked to the advertising industry. only 20 companies allowed. first come first served. entry opens at 8pm (london) tuesday august 8th 2017. you could be an agency, production company, service company, edit house, post-production, music or sound company - so long as it's about ads. registration in advance essential - see below
- you must film only on the super 8 cartridge that we will send you. it offers you up to 2'30" film length (we're projecting at 24fps this time) - not a frame more, without synch sound
- no editing or post-production. everything is done in-camera. so filming in single takes, in story order. and we process your film so no cheating! film delivery deadline: monday september 25th - london - physical delivery - by 10am at cinelab london (slough!)
- your digital soundtrack must be 100% original - no silent films, we've all moved on - and sent to us on a link by 23:59 (london) monday october 2nd
- you source your own camera, cast, crew - and idea. there's no brief or theme - unusual maybe for this industry but not for the film industry
- the first time teams will see their own films is at the premiere in berlin on thursday october 26th, evening. all films will be shown. the good, the bad and the ugly
- entry is £500 per entering company. prizes will go to winning companies' charity of choice. winners chosen by audience vote in berlin - no voting for your own film
- festival passes will be required to attend - 30% discount available to one person from each competing team.
- more detailed rules will be given after successful registration
entry will open at 8pm (bst) on tuesday august 8th
it's essential that you register in advance using the form below
thanks to our partners in straight 8 @ ciclope 2017:
watch last year's straight 8 industry shootout programme, exactly as it premiered in cannes and london, below: