straight 8 industry shootout @ CANNES 2018
the 3rd straight 8 industry shootout at CANNES is now on! 20 ad companies the world over are invited to compete at straight 8 for charity
//// the 20 places sold out in less than 24 hours //// here's who's competing this time & thanks to them for braving our challenge ////
partizan london - forever beta - electric theatre collective - moxie pictures london - havas singapore - le berg - iris london - the producers co melbourne - rothco - chief productions - taiyo kikaku co. (twice!) - ls productions - the producers co brisbane - the local production company mallorca - rock hound - 18 feet and rising - skin and bones film - snapper films
//// put the morning of thursday june 21st in your diary to see all these films in cannes in the cinema, no matter how they come out ////
making a film in one of the hardest ways on earth, raising money for charity, battling creatively with the rest of the industry and then triumphing, or failing, heroically in front of them on a massive cinema screen in cannes... what's not to like?
read the 8 rules of shootout and register asap below the poster. only registered companies can enter
we hope to see you and your film in cannes...
thanks to our partners so far in straight 8 industry shootout @ CANNES 2018:
the 8 rules of shootout are:
- ENTERING. you can only enter as a company working in the advertising industry. you could be an agency, production company, service company, edit house, post-production, music, sound company or even a brand - so long as it's about ads. you must register below and be accepted. only registered, accepted companies will be given the link to use to enter. then, at a specified date and time, the first 20 companies to pay for entry are in. registration is free and non-binding but the entry fee must be signed off. the link is below - please register asap. precise deadlines available after registration. approx deadlines: entry date, late april. deliver film to london late may.
- FILMING. you must film only on the super 8 cartridge that we will send you. it offers you up to 2'30" film length. we're projecting at 24fps for shootout so 24fps will be your base frame rate for shooting. the cartridge does not record sound
- POST-PRODUCTION. there is none! no editing, grading, fixing, fiddling, titling or any form of post-production.... everything is done in-camera, filming in single takes, in story order. you send your exposed, un-developed film to us for processing, at cinelab london, so cheating is impossible! no special lab instructions are allowed either. the film delivery deadline will not be moved
- SOUNDTRACK. your digital soundtrack must be 100% original - and no silent films, we've all moved on. it must be sent sent to us on a link by one week after the film delivery deadline
- GUIDANCE AND HELP. you source your own camera, cast, crew, props, locations - and idea. there's no brief or theme other than: what do you want to put up on that screen? - so make the most of that
- SCREENING. the first time teams will see even their own films is at the premiere in cannes on june 21st 2018. ALL films will be shown. the good, the bad, the ugly - this is not for the faint of heart
- WINNING. each entered company receives one voting ballot paper, with their film scrubbed out. voting for gold, silver, bronze places from the rest of the selection, this must be the least rig-able system ever. remember, any companies in the world can enter - even russian ones. prize money will be donated to charities chosen by the top three companies. the charity prize pot will vary pro-rata with the number of entered companies
- ENTRY FEE. entry is £500+VAT per entering company. if we have less than ten companies this shootout will not go-ahead
more detailed rules will be supplied to successful entrants
registration and entry are now closed - to hear about future shootout competitions and screenings, please join our mailing list now
join us in cannes june 21st - morning