straight 8 industry shootout @ ADFEST 2018
the 4th straight 8 industry shootout is now on! ad companies in APAC and MENA regions, please read on!!
we've teamed up with the apa once again to hold our first ad industry straight 8 shootout of 2018 at ADFEST in pattaya, thailand. this follows our industry shootouts at cannes in 2016 and 2017 and at CICLOPE, berlin in october 2017 - and we are excited...
entry is limited to 20 companies working in the ad industry in APAC and MENA regions only, competing as companies, for charity
//////// we are still ready to accept a couple more companies for this competition, you will need to be paid up and entered by jan 19 - any questions please email us ////////
just like the regular straight 8, entering companies make a film on one roll of super 8mm cine film, with no second takes, no editing, no post-production. sound must be original and is delivered 'blind'
there is no creative brief - you make the film you want to make, with the audience in mind of course. the maximum length will be 2 minutes 30 seconds for this competition - see rule 2 below
each company will see their straight 8 film for the first time at adfest 2018, pattaya, thailand, march 22nd 2018. all films will be shown no matter how, or whether, they come out
the cinema audience will then vote and the winning companies get to donate the prize-money to the charities of their choosing (see rules below for amounts)
entry is first come first served. pre-registration is essential to be eligible to enter - see the form below and register asap
this is a great chance to have some fun, making a film in one of the hardest ways possible, raising money for charity and battling creatively with the rest of the industry. what's not to like?
check out the rules below the poster...
the 8 rules of shootout are:
- you can only enter as a company working in the advertising industry. based in APAC / MENA regions. only 20 companies allowed. first come first served. entry opens at 8am (gmt) wednesday december 13th 2017. *** entry is now pushed to jan 3rd 8am uk time *** but you must register below asap *** you could be an agency, production company, service company, edit house, post-production, music or sound company - so long as it's about ads. registration in advance essential - see below - register asap
- you must film only on the super 8 cartridge that we will send you. it offers you up to 2'30" film length (we're projecting at 24fps this time) - not a frame more, without synch sound
- no editing or post-production. everything is done in-camera. so filming in single takes, in story order. and we process your film so no cheating! film delivery deadline: monday february 19th - london - physical delivery - by 5pm at cinelab london (slough!)
- your digital soundtrack must be 100% original - no silent films, we've all moved on - and sent to us on a link by 23:59 (gmt) monday february 26th
- you source your own camera, cast, crew - and idea. there's no brief or theme - unusual maybe for this industry but not for the film industry
- the first time teams will see their own films is at the premiere in thailand on thursday march 22nd. all films will be shown. the good, the bad and the ugly
- entry is £700 per entering company. prizes (1st - £1000 , 2nd - £500 , 3rd - £250) will go to winning companies' charity of choice. winners chosen by audience vote in thailand - only entering companies vote - no voting for your own film
- festival passes will be required to attend - check adfest.com for details
- (!) ...more detailed rules will be given after successful entry
only registered and approved companies will be emailed a link to the entry page shortly before this time.
entry opens at 8am (gmt) on december 13th 2017 - the first 20 registered companies to purchase their official entry from that time are in.
*** entry is now pushed to jan 3rd 8am uk time *** but you must register below asap ***
it's essential that you register in advance, asap, using the form below
watch these entries to both straight 8 industry shootout and public competition for inspiration
thanks to our partners in straight 8 @ adfest 2018: